Looking for family friendly hikes on Oahu?
Oahu is our favorite Hawaiian island, and is packed with things for the whole family to enjoy! From the gorgeous beaches, some of the best surf in the world, dozens of outdoor activities – like hiking!!
This Hawaii Family Hike (Lanikia Pink Pillbox) is famous for the incredible views of the turquoise water and white sand beaches. This family friendly hike is nestled on the east side of Oahu, in Kailua, in a residential neighborhood so parking can be tricky.
A few tips for accessing this family friendly hike – Lanikai Pillbox Hawaii Hike:
- Be respectful of no parking signs and the homes surrounding the trail head
- Park at Kailua beach park and walk in if you cant find parking
- If you have access to bikes, ride them! There is a bike rack just outside the trailhead (this is what we did and it was easy)
We have done this hike several times, and each time we are in awe of how beautiful it is! We got started about an hour after sunrise and had some good cloud coverage the entire time – so heat wasn’t an issue for us. If you want to avoid the crowds hiking during the day will help with this. Also weekdays vs weekends if you are trying to avoid the crowds.
Lanikai Pillbox hike is most popular at sunrise, but also known to be busy for sunset as well.
For reference my kids are 9,5,4 in these pictures. They all hiked solo and did an amazing job – I did take my youngest hand a few times. The kids loved playing in the pillbox, we recommend hiking past the first pillbox and go to the second one, the view is just a touch better and most people stop there.
A few “must pack” items for your hike
- Camera or phone to take pictures
- Sunscreen, apply before!!
- Water and snacks! – make sure you pack your trash in AND out!
- Always smart to hike with small first aide kit
Linking below all of our favorite hiking gear from shoes, to bags, to drone we use!
I am linking all of our favorite hiking gear here!
If you are interested in booking Mersadi Olson for your adventure day connect with us HERE!